Download my complete CV here!
- 2017 PhD, Biological Anthropology, New York University
- 2011 MS, Physical Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania
- 2011 BA (summa cum laude), Physical Anthropology, minor in Biology, University of Pennsylvania
- Present-2018 Assistant Professor of Anatomy, School of Health and Allied Sciences, Universidad Central del Caribe
- 2018-2017 Visiting Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anthropology, Dickinson College
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
- Accepted. Villamil CI, Santiago-Nazario A. Integration of the nasopharynx and cervical vertebrae in Homo and Pan. Anat Record.
- 2021. Villamil CI. The role of developmental rate, body size, and positional behavior in the evolution of covariation and evolvability in the cranium of strepsirrhines and catarrhines. J Hum Evol 151:102941. doi: 10.1016/j.jhevol.2020.102941
- 2019. Ortiz A, Zhang Y, Jin C, Wang Y, Zhu M, Yan Y, Kimock C, Villamil CI, He K, Harrison T. Morphometric analysis of fossil hylobatid molars from the Pleistocene of Southern China. Anthropol Sci 127(2):109-121. doi: 10.1537/ase.190331
- 2018. Villamil CI. Phenotypic integration of the cervical vertebrae in the Hominoidea (Primates). Evolution 72(3):490-517. doi: 10.1111/evo.13433
- 2017. Villamil CI. Locomotion and basicranial anatomy in primates and marsupials. J Hum Evol 111:163-178. doi: 10.1016/j.jhevol.2017.07.003
- 2016. Williams SA, Middleton ER, Villamil CI, Shattuck MR. Vertebral numbers and human evolution. Am J Phys Anthropol 159(S61):S19-S36. doi: 10.1002/ajpa.22901
- 2015. Ortiz A, Pilbrow V, Villamil CI, Korsgaard JG, Bailey SE, Harrison T. The taxonomic and phylogenetic affinities of Bunopithecus sericus, a fossil hylobatid from the Pleistocene of China. PLOS ONE 10(7):e0131206. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0131206
Selected conference abstracts:
- 2021. Santiago Nazario A*, Villamil CI. Integration of the nasopharynx and cervical vertebrae in Homo and Pan. American Association for Anatomy. [poster abstract]
- 2021. Villamil CI, Middleton ER. Integration of the hominoid spine, part I: Shoulder function and integration of the cervical and thoracic vertebrae. American Association of Physical Anthropologists.
- 2021. Middleton ER, Villamil CI. Integration of the hominoid spine, part II: The effects of lordosis on integration of the cervical and lumbar vertebrae. American Association of Physical Anthropologists.
- 2019. Villamil CI. Conservative evolution and integration continua in the primate cranium. International Congress of Vertebrate Morphology. [symposium oral presentation]
- 2019. Villamil CI. Character displacement in two New World monkey genera, Cebus and Alouatta. American Association of Anatomists. [poster abstract]
- 2018. Villamil CI. Size and the morphology of the C2 (axis) vertebra in primates. American Association of Physical Anthropologists. [poster abstract]
Recent research grants:
- 2021. Cobb Professional Development Grant, American Association of Biological Anthropologists. $7075
- 2018. Grant for Scholarly Project. Dickinson College. $3000
- 2016. Provost’s Global Research Initiative Fellowship. New York University. $6097
- 2015. Dissertation Fieldwork Grant. The Wenner-Gren Foundation. $16,094
- 2015. Antonina S. Ranieri International Scholars Fund. New York University. $750
- 2021-present, Bioarchaeology of the Caribbean
- 2020-present, Osteology for archaeologists
- 2019-present, Advanced Anatomy
- 2018-present, Human Gross and Developmental Anatomy (dissection-based)
- 2018, Principles of Human Evolution
- 2018, Growth and Development
Recent lab and fieldwork:
- 2020, 2018, 2016 Research assistant in primate morphometric and microbiome data collection, Caribbean Primate Research Center
- 2016 Laetoli and Eyasi Plateau mid-Pliocene localities, Tanzania
- 2015 Mary Leakey Olduvai Gorge collections assistant, National Museums of Tanzania
- 2012 Sanisera Roman necropolis excavation, Menorca, Spain
- 2012 Laboratory intern, Molecular Primatology Laboratory, New York University
Institutions where I’ve carried out research:
American Museum of Natural History; Cleveland Museum of Natural History; Museum of Vertebrate Zoology; Museum of Comparative Zoology; Field Museum; Museum für Naturkunde; Senckenberg Museum; Musée National d’Histoire Naturelle; Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles de Belgique; Royal Museum of Central Africa; Naturalis Biodiversity Center; Natural History Museum London; Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History; Center for the Study of Human Origins; University of Witwatersrand; Makerere University; British Museum; Powell-Cotton Museum; Caribbean Primate Research Center; University of Notre Dame; Penn Museum; Philadelphia Zoo.